'Joyful parenting' seems like an oxymoron many days.
In the trenches of parenting, no matter the season, there are moments of deep struggle. There are moments you hide in your closet with the last of the Halloween candy wondering why God even gifted you with these children. Are you even capable? How did He think you were equipped for this job?
Truth time, friend. You are a good mom. In fact, you are a great mom. And He has chosen you for this holy work, knowing full-well you are capable in Him.
Mama friends, He knows this is not an easy job and as such He gently leads those that are with young. He sees us. He knows us. And He wants joy for us in this holy job of parenting. Let's look to Him this week when we find ourselves deep in the realities of parenting. Let's allow His grace to be our portion as He guides us.
A sweet friend shared these prayers from Ann Voskamp with me last week and I just knew they needed to be passed on to you.
10 Grace Prayers for Joyful Parenting
1. Just for today, I will ask for His grace to make our home a house of prayer. I will pray at set times. And I will invite our children to come move into an interior space that lives with God.
2. Just for today, I will ask for His grace to transfigure all things into beauty. He's working to redeem all things, in His time, into the image of His Son.
3. Just for today, I will ask for His grace to see that life is not an emergency. Emergencies are sudden, unexpected events— and is anything under the sun unexpected to God? I can slow and I can trust.
4. Just for today, I will ask for His grace, that when stress mounts, I'll dismount it with gratitude. My stress coping mechanism will be verbal intervention with verbal thanks. It's impossible to simultaneously feel stress and gratitude at the same time and I choose to give thanks at all times. Fight feeling with feeling!
5. Just for today, I will ask for His grace to speak words that are only strong words, words that make these children feel strong. Grace words. Grace is the only non-toxic air.
6. Just for today, I will ask for His grace to be consistently consistent. I will create safe rhythms that our children can find security in. I will create daily ceremonies because everyday we are CELEBRATING the gift of now!
7. Just for today, I will ask for His grace, the moment when I am most repelled by a child’s behavior, that is my sign to draw the very closest to that child.
8. Just for today, I will ask for His grace to hug each of my children as many times as I serve them meals — because children’s hearts feed on touch. I’ll look for as many opportunities to touch my children today as possible — the taller they are, the more so.
9. Just for today, I will ask for His grace to make my priorities all Things Unseen.
10. Just for today, I will ask for His grace to laugh! And I will let the little children laugh! I will create a culture of JOY!
Find her full post here.